Search This Blog

Monday 25 June 2012

World's Best Strawberry Shortcake Recipe

Pin It
Strawberry season is here, and there is absolutely no better way to enjoy them then in a strawberry shortcake... 

I decided to make one for Mickey's 5th birthday last week, and thought I'd share with you.

Some people use pound cake or angel food to make shortcake, but I like a nice white cake from Duncan Hines.  No other brand will do, and no, they did not pay me to say that.  I just looove their cakes... and M&M brownies. (Homer Drool)

Step 1:  Bake cake as instructed on package.

As you can see, I couldn't find my second round cake pan, so I used a square one and trimmed the cake with a knife by tracing around the top half.  The upside here is that I got to sample the cake and no one knew... hahaha

Tip! To keep your cake level, always place the bottom layer top side down.

I also don't have a cooling rack, so I just use the top of a roasting pan upside down.  Works great. Make sure to cool it completely or your whip cream will melt right off!


Step 2:  "Ice" with whipped cream.

There is nothing better than real whipped cream, so while you can use whipped topping, but it's so much better to make your own, especially since it's so easy.

If you have a metal mixing bowl, stick it in the freezer with your beater whips for about 30 minutes, it will make it easier.

Mix 500 ml of 35% whipping cream, 1/4 cup of sugar and half a capful of vanilla extract and beat on high until it stiffens and starts to form soft peeks.  You can also whip by hand with a whisk... but it will take about 15 minutes and it will feel like your arm is about to fall off... so you know, totally up to you.

Work quickly so that your whip cream doesn't melt, adding a generous amount between the layers and all around the cake... you should use all of it.  (Minus a spoonful or two for the cook.)


Step 3:  Decorate with strawberries and voilà!

I recommend sticking it quickly in the fridge and letting it sit for at least an hour so that it sets.



It was a big hit with the boys, earning a thumbs up from Mickey, the house's toughest critic. 


Ummmm my favorite! Reminds me of when my mom used to make them.  Some people use strawberry jam in the middle...


Only 3 steps, but it will look like you slaved for hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment